I am here to finally write a post other than those from my “Date Nights” series! While I super love sharing our love with y’all, I’m sure it gets annoying reading basically the same thing over + over + over again. So here we are… a post that is not directly about our Date Nights.
It is freaking summer already.
How did this happen?
Wasn’t it just snowing and we were complaining about subzero temps?
Here in Minnesota, the heat got turned to HIGH really fast this year. I’m all for warm weather + a chance for a good tan, but it’s gotten a bit too hot for my general liking. Last weekend Trevor + I walked around at Grand Old Day since we live a few blocks away + I got a little pink in the shoulders, which has now transitioned to the first tan of the season! Now to work on my pasty legs a bit…
Anywho, summer is off to the most wonderful of starts! Earlier this week we finally booked our plane tickets AND hotel room for PORTLAND. I cannot wait! I repeat, we’re going to Portland. In July. For almost a week. I. CAN’T. WAIT.
(Here’s the part that kind of drifts back to “Date Nights” series territory)
Trev + I have always had this plan to travel as much as possible, thus our upcoming trips to both Europe + Portland for this summer. We’ve both made it a priority so far to do one good vacation together each summer (last year we did DC + NYC) + I hope this continues as our marriage progresses. June’s Date Nights will be our trip as a whole as we spend time exploring together + doing some kinda pricey things. We’ve saved so much money on both of our trips that we’re able to spoil ourselves a bit in both trips + I am so beyond excited for them.
So that’s the start of my 2017 summer! I’m hoping to have a lot to share about Europe after we get back, but also no promises because sometimes I super suck about this whole blogging thing….
Praying your summers are off to an equally wonderful start!
Wow, we’re already nearing the end of February! I was doing pretty well with blogging in January + was hoping that trend would continue throughout 2017, however, I’ve already staggered off on the consistency.
Anywho, here’s a little life update!
- I haven’t talked much about it, but I have begun a new job as a 3-year-old teacher where I did my student teaching last semester. I’m transitioning into the role + can’t wait for the classroom to be solely mine, although I’m trying to embrace + enjoy the transition right now. I’m loving getting to know my coworkers better + feeling more comfortable in my role there.
- Trevor and I have finally established the dates of our Europe trip. We will be booking tickets shortly, but all things are a go in regards to getting off work for the appropriate amount of time. I’m so excited for us to do our first international trip together! I also cannot wait to visit Amsterdam for the first time. That will be our first stop on the trip before we head on to London + Paris (which I am also super psyched for).
- I’ve officially made it a (new) goal of mine this year to try more local coffee shops! I love Starbucks + Caribou, but there are so many trendy spots in the Twin Cities that I need to give a try. So far, I’ve hit up Spyhouse (NE + Uptown locations, still need to try Whittier + Northloop locations) + Groundswell Midway! All of these places are so hip + cool + I cannot wait to support local stores by trying them out! I did end up taking advantage of my free birthday drinks at both Starbucks + Caribou, but other than that I have done well with drinking locally.
This next month I’m going to try to blog more consistently, but we’ll see how that goes…
We’re approaching a week into 2017, so I ought to share my personal goals for this year. I have already shared the goals Trevor + I have developed for our marriage (read about those HERE), but I have more than just these goals in mind this year.
My goals for this year will be split into the following categories:
- Faith: My faith has been something that has always been important to me and a priority in my life. This year I’m going to work to make this even more of a priority.
- Photography: My photography business has grown quite a bit this past year. My plans and goals are for this to continue!
- Teaching: I just graduated, so teaching goals are a given!
- Marriage: Trevor + I developed goals for our marriage together, but I have some for myself to work on as well.
- Other: All of the random things that don’t fit into other categories.
- Keep up on “Faith” goals within our Marriage Goals with Trevor.
- Read devotions (either on phone or online) minimum of twice a week.
- Book at least 10 sessions in each of my session “categories” (with the exception of weddings – 5+ with Trevor)
- Pass 500 Facebook likes on my page, which is facebook.com/elisebethannephotography if you wanna help a lady out. 🙂
- Pass 500 Instagram likes, instagram.com/elisebethannephotography – thank you very much!
- Make my very first classroom “MINE”! Yes, this is kind of a weird goal, but I want to make sure I put the effort into my first classroom becoming my style + fitting my personality + teaching style.
- Read 12 (or more) “teacher books” to stay involved in profession-related literature.
- Survive the 2017 portion of my first year of teaching!
- Pay greater attention + be more intentional about speaking to Trevor in his love language.
- Improve communication with Trevor about my emotions.
- Get my second tattoo.
- Record a cover with Trevor (he’s only been asking for forever).
- Be happier. I’m reading 52 Lists of Happiness to help me on this journey.
- Blog about all of the Date Nights Trev + I do this year as a part of our Marriage Goals. Date Night 1 is up already HERE!
I think that’s all for my 2017 goals. Some are plenty vague, but I think they are all plenty achievable. Here’s to 2017!
Trevor and I spent some time yesterday discussing the first chunk of our goals for this upcoming year. I had stumbled upon a post by Jennifer Smith on her blog The Unveiled Wife about setting goals as a couple and within your marriage. We used her post How to Set Goals for the New Year with Your Spouse as a basic outline for our goal setting for 2017.
Here’s what we have come up with so far. We plan to add to the date nights throughout the year (obviously, since we have not yet completed that list). A lot of what is on the list is also there as reminders for things we already have discussed or dreamed about for this year. Having those items be in the list helps us move toward them and keep them realistic within the context of our life.
- January: SeaLife, Phoenix Trip
- February: Pizza + Netflix, Science Museum of Minnesota
- March: Bubba Gump’s, Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA)
- April: Casino, Chanhassen Dinner Theater
- June: Summit Ave Walk,
- July: Check Sculpture Garden?
- Re-read 5 Love Languages, then add more
- Pray together every night
- Read a Bible verse/passage twice a week (or more): Revisit at June meeting
- Offering: discuss more in detail
- 2-3/month “real meal”
- at least 1/month crockpot
- More wedding bookings: 5+
- Consistent FB marketing/referral (via groups/pages/etc)
- Phoenix Trip: Global Entry Interviews
- Europe Trip
- California Trip (before July)
- Decide locations
As you could see next to one of the items under “Faith,” we’re planning on revisiting this list in June to see where we are at with all of our goals and where more should be added or where some should be removed. I am confident that we have established tangible and realistic goals for our marriage this year and am excited to see 2017 unravel. I am also working on setting some personal goals and will post those at a later time (hopefully tomorrow, but no promises).
Also, last night enjoyed one final date night of 2016 at Dave & Busters in Edina! We went earlier this year (I think it was 2016 anyway) with some friends and have been meaning to get back.. Better late than never!